Law Offices of Jay S. Knispel Personal Injury Lawyers - 450 7th Ave Suite 1605, New York, NY 10123 - Personal Injury Lawyers in NYC

FAQs Regarding Slip and Fall Injuries

Click For Your Free Consulation

FAQs Regarding Slip and Fall Injuries

NYC Trip and Fall FAQs

Trip and fall accidents are one of the most common types of accidents in the US. Trip and fall accidents can occur anywhere and anytime and can result in serious personal injury. Here is a short list of the most frequently asked questions about trip and fall accidents. Contact our top-rated New York City slip and fall lawyers near you today.

Q: I tripped and fell over my neighbor’s uneven sidewalk. My back was injured during the fall and I am unable to return to work. I informed my neighbor of the accident, but she believes that I am at fault because I was inattentive and not looking where I was going. Who is at fault?

A: It is the property owner’s responsibility to maintain their property so that it is safe for visitors. However, it is the responsibility of the injured person to provide proof that they were acting cautiously at the time of the accident. If the property owner can provide proof that you were being careless at the time of the accident, you may have difficulty filing a claim.

For a full evaluation of your trip and fall case, you need to contact an experienced NYC trip and fall injury lawyer that will evaluate your injuries and the property owner’s responsibilities.

Q: What should I do if I suffer a trip and fall injury while on someone else’s property in New York City?

A: If you are injured on another person’s property there are a few things you need to do in order to file a claim:

  • Take note of the conditions of the property where the incident occurred
  • Take photos or video the scene of your accident with your smartphone or if you have a camera on hand
  • If there are witnesses present, ask for their contact information to obtain statements at a later date

If you were injured in a business, you need to file an accident report and be sure to obtain a copy signed by the supervisor on duty. Keep records of any medical treatments you undergo and all medical expenses that you incur due to a trip and fall injury.

The first step, before all others, is to contact a knowledgeable New York City slip and fall lawyer who will provide legal advice on how to file for compensation for injury and loss of income.

Q: As an NYC homeowner, what are my responsibilities for the maintenance of my property so that I am not liable for any trip and fall accident?

A: As a property owner it is your responsibility to make sure that all visitors to your property are free from hazards. If there are unsafe or hazardous conditions on your property, you need to post appropriate warning signs and fix the unsafe or hazardous conditions as soon as possible. Undergoing regular property maintenance is the best way to ensure that your visitors are safe and you are not liable for any accidents that occur on your property.

For more information on your responsibilities and the possibility of liability in a trip and fall accident, you need to contact a Brooklyn personal injury attorney.

Call Now Button