New York’s personal injury law firmClick For Your Free Consulation
Posted in Bike Accidents on January 10, 2014
New York Bicycle Accident Prevention
One of the most important things you can do when riding a bike is to wear a helmet. Wearing a helmet to protect your head is the number one way to prevent a traumatic brain injury. Road awareness and safety are your primary goals to help avoid getting hit by a motor vehicle of any kind. Many cyclists have suffered fatalities even though they wore a helmet, however, some would still be alive today if they would have been proactive by wearing protective headgear.
Strive to live by Benjamin Franklin’s proverb – “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
Below are some important tips if you are ever involved in a bike accident:
- Call the Police.
- Call for medical attention if you have been injured.
- Stay at the scene of the accident, and make a report of exactly what took place. This is extremely important for later use if an insurance claim or lawsuit is necessary.
- If physically able, take pictures of the scene, the car involved, your bicycle and any visible injuries that may have occurred.
- Make sure to get the information of the driver involved in the accident (name, address, phone number, insurance information)
- Get information from other onlookers who are at the accident scene. Witnesses that saw what happened at the time of the accident as well as bystanders that might have heard what was said after the accident. (Get their name, address, and phone number)
- If your injury gets worse, go to the hospital or the doctor.
- Do not admit that the accident was your fault.
- Write down everything you remember about the accident and how it happened. Do this as soon as possible while the information is still fresh on your mind.
- Hold on to your damaged property. Do discard any items such as your bike, helmet, bike computer, clothing, and other items in your possession.
- Contact an attorney that works with a “Contingency Fee Agreement”
If you would like to speak with an experienced attorney, call the Law Offices of Jay S. Knispel at 212-564-2800. Mr. Knispel is the firm’s Founder and Managing Partner. The firm is both aggressive and determined to do all they can to help you as quickly as possible. They will come out to the accident scene, investigate to get all of the details of what happened and start working on your case immediately. The firm represents clients in cases involving serious injuries, including but not limited to: bike accidents, motorcycle accidents, car accidents, truck accidents, bus accidents, taxi accidents, commercial vehicle accidents, and all types of accidents that result in personal injury or a wrongful death. Mr. Knispel is licensed to practice law in the states of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
If you are a cyclist who has been injured due to someone’s negligence, you are entitled to compensation for your physical injuries. Unlike like many other New York personal injury law firms, the Law Offices of Jay S. Knispel Personal Injury Lawyers work with a contingency fee agreement which means that you will never pay a penny unless they win your case.
Check out our New York Bicycle Safety Guide for a more in depth look at bicycle safety in the state of New York.
If you need legal assistance, contact the NYC personal injury lawyers at Law Offices of Jay S. Knispel Personal Injury Lawyers at your nearest location to schedule a free consultation.
We have two convenient locations in New York:
Law Offices of Jay S. Knispel Personal Injury Lawyers – New York City Office
450 7th Ave #409
New York, NY 10123
Law Offices of Jay S. Knispel Personal Injury Lawyers – Brooklyn Office
26 Court St Suite 2511
Brooklyn, NY 11242