Law Offices of Jay S. Knispel Personal Injury Lawyers - 450 7th Ave Suite 1605, New York, NY 10123 - Personal Injury Lawyers in NYC

New York’s personal injury law firm

Click For Your Free Consulation

What to Know About Car Accident Reports in Brooklyn, NY

Posted in Car Accidents on June 2, 2021

What to Know About Car Accident Reports in Brooklyn, NY

The process of reporting car accidents in Brooklyn, NY, follows the same process required in other areas of New York. The process applies to accidents involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians.

According to NY State Vehicle and Traffic Law §605, all drivers are required to file a Report of Motor Vehicle Accident (MV-104) within 10 days from the date of the car accident if:

  • Property damage to the property of one party equals more than $1,000, OR,
  • A person was injured or killed in a traffic accident.

Failing to file the accident report could result in a suspension of your driver’s license. If there is property damage only, you must exchange information with the other driver and file the MV-104 within 10 days. However, if someone is injured or killed, you need to notify the police immediately and file the MV-104.

Calling 911 to report an accident is the quickest way to report the accident and request assistance. The emergency operator will give you instructions and dispatch police officers to your location.

How Do I Know if I Was Injured in the Car Crash?

It can be difficult to know whether you sustained injuries after a car wreck. Some injuries might not cause symptoms for hours or days after a crash. Therefore, it is better to err on the side of caution and report the accident to the police. It is better to have an official police report if you need to file an insurance claim.

How Do I Get a Copy of My Car Accident Report in Brooklyn, NY?

During the first 30 days after a traffic accident in Brooklyn, you may request a copy of the collision report from the precinct that responded to the accident site. Mail or submit two copies of the Request for Copy of Collision Record to the precinct where the accident occurred. After 30 days, you need to request copies of the accident report or a collision report from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.

You may also access collision reports online. It may take seven business days after the accident for the crash report to be available online.

If you hire a personal injury lawyer to represent you in a car accident claim, your attorney will request a copy of the crash report as part of the accident investigation.

Why Do I Need a Copy of my Brooklyn Car Accident Report?

A car accident report contains information you need for an insurance or personal injury claim.

Information on the official accident report may include:

  • The names and contact information for the drivers involved in the accident
  • Information about passengers, eyewitnesses, and others involved in the accident
  • The date, time, and location of the crash
  • The road conditions and weather conditions
  • Whether either driver was charged with a traffic violation
  • The police officer’s opinion regarding fault for the crash
  • A diagram of the crash scene drawn by the police officer
  • Statements made by the drivers and others at the accident scene

Some of the information on the accident report may be considered hearsay, so it is not admissible in court. However, the information can assist a car accident attorney in investigating the accident.

Should I Settle with the Insurance Company?

If there is no doubt about how the car accident occurred or which driver was at fault, the insurance company for the at-fault driver may be willing to settle the claim. However, dealing directly with the insurance provider may not be in your best interest.

When an insurance company makes an initial settlement offer, the amount of the settlement offer is generally much lower than the value of the claim. The insurance company will try to settle the claim for the lowest amount possible. You can make a counteroffer for a higher settlement amount, but that assumes you know what damages you are entitled to receive and the value of those damages.

If you do not know how much your personal injury claim is worth, you may want to seek advice from a car accident attorney before accepting a settlement offer. When you accept a settlement offer, it ends the claim.

The insurance company might not explain that you are releasing all parties from all claims when you sign the settlement agreement. In other words, you cannot demand more money for your injuries and damages, even if you discover additional damages. Therefore, if you are unsure how much your case is worth, consider speaking with a Brooklyn personal injury attorney.

Contact Our Car Accident Law Firm in Brooklyn, NY

If you need legal assistance, contact the Brooklyn car accident lawyers at Law Offices of Jay S. Knispel Personal Injury Lawyers at your nearest location to schedule a free consultation.

We have two convenient locations in New York:

Law Offices of Jay S. Knispel Personal Injury Lawyers – New York City Office
450 7th Ave #409
New York, NY 10123
(212) 564-2800

Law Offices of Jay S. Knispel Personal Injury Lawyers – Brooklyn Office
26 Court St Suite 2511
Brooklyn, NY 11242
(718) 802-1600

Call Now Button