New York’s personal injury law firmClick For Your Free Consulation
If you’re involved in a serious car accident, the main thing on your mind will probably be disbelief that the accident occurred in the first place. You may be in pain because of any impact your vehicle may have had with other objects and you’ll likely be unable to focus on much beyond that.
Then, you will want to determine whether you need to file an insurance claim at all. If the car accident is serious, the damages will be extensive and expensive to repair. Associated medical costs will also skyrocket and quickly override average household expenses. Insurance policies are set up to cover these expenses, but you must file a claim to access the benefits.
If you are physically able, at the site of the accident, you should:
1. Get all the insurance information from the other drivers involved in the accident. Even if the law officers initially state or later determine that you were at fault for the accident, or if they do not declare fault, you need the insurance information for your records.
2. Avoid admitting to any fault on your own at the scene of an accident.
3. Then, write down as many details of the accident as you can remember, such as the location, location of any visible damage to your vehicle, the sequence of events leading up to the accident, and the weather conditions.
4. If you required medical attention at the scene of the accident or after the accident, write down the details of your physical injuries for your insurance carrier.
5. Next, call your insurance company to report the accident. This must occur as soon after the accident as possible, and in many cases, your insurance company will indicate this time period in your policy documents. Your insurers will want the information on the accident, as well as the insurance details for the other drivers. Your carrier will open an insurance claim for you.
6. Their next step will usually be to send out a claims adjuster to assess the damage to your vehicle, and to examine any medical bills you are citing in your claim.
7. Afterwards these steps, the insurance company will decide how much to pay on your claim. Dealing with insurance companies should be smooth and effortless; however, it is the business of insurance companies to attempt to reduce the costs associated with claims.
If you suffered an injury in a car accident, and are having difficulty with your insurance company, please call upon me and my team who are here to help you. I will vigorously pursue your case to the fullest extent necessary to get you the compensation you deserve. We are one of New York’s premier personal injury law firms that has proven experience litigating serious accident cases with insurance companies and will fight for justice. There are no fees unless we win your case so contact my office today. If you cannot come to me, I will come to you.
To learn more, call one of our convenient locations nearest you for assistance.
If you would prefer to email us, please visit our contact us page.